Friday, September 26, 2014

Recommendation Letters


Recommendation letters can be an extremely essential tool for earning a job. Properly written ones are great to have and can open up so many opportunities for a person seeking a job. With that being said, writing the recommendation letters has many implications. The writer must be sure that it is accurate, clear, and provides all the information an employer would wish to see. If the letter is too general, then it proves nothing about the person it's about and does not distinguish them from other applicants.

If I was asked by a former employee from years ago to write a recommendation letter, and I could not remember any details of the employee’s time with me except that they were an admirable employee, I would have to consider a few options. The first thing I would do would be to ask my fellow workers about what they remember from that specific employee. I wouldn’t reject the request because I would want to do my best to help a quality former employee of mine. If this option did not work out, I would then be honest with the employee and tell them that I know they were of high quality but that I just could not remember specifics that I feel future employers would want to know. I would make sure they know that I could potentially write them a letter, but it would have to be just of what I remembered, so it would be pretty broad and not detailed. I would suggest that they find someone else to write the letter so that they will properly and accurately represented.   

No comments:

Post a Comment